[FM Discuss] sugar/olpc people...

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 07:09:11 PST 2011

Edward,

I did use Babel Fish one chapter at a time.  I found it better than
Google Translate because Google puts both the English and the Spanish
on the page so that when the mouse flies over a paragraph you see the
original English in a tooltip.  Babel Fish does not do that.

The other thing to remember is that while your images will show up in
the translated pages, the links are wrong and will need to be changed.
 Obviously, if there are code samples in the book they will have to be
replaced with the un-translated originals.  Other things will need to
be un-translated too.  For instance, the word "Alzucar" (I think
that's the one) needs to be replaced with "Sugar".

I don't speak Spanish so I can't say how good the Babel Fish
translation is.  I have been experimenting with using Babel Fish to
make an English translation of the Jules Verne novel "Castle in the
Carpathians" and some of the English version is incomprehensible.  I
actually did take French in school, but it doesn't help.  I look at
the French original and the machine translation and all I can think is
that the Babel Fish translation seems to be accurate.

James Simmons