[FM Discuss] sugar/olpc people...

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 07:33:00 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:09, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> Edward,
>
> I did use Babel Fish one chapter at a time.  I found it better than
> Google Translate because Google puts both the English and the Spanish
> on the page so that when the mouse flies over a paragraph you see the
> original English in a tooltip.  Babel Fish does not do that.

I know how to get around the Google tooltips issue. I'll run a few
tests and report the results.

> The other thing to remember is that while your images will show up in
> the translated pages, the links are wrong and will need to be changed.
>  Obviously, if there are code samples in the book they will have to be
> replaced with the un-translated originals.  Other things will need to
> be un-translated too.  For instance, the word "Alzucar" (I think
> that's the one) needs to be replaced with "Sugar".

Azucar

Yes. Fixing links and untranslating names and code is familiar
territory for me, as a tech writer for more than ten years.

> I don't speak Spanish so I can't say how good the Babel Fish
> translation is.

All machine translations are by turns hilarious and baffling.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/