[FM Discuss] Fwd: Booki - linking to chapters, publishing versions, translations

adam adam at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 28 06:06:28 PST 2011

sorry for the delay. been very busy

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 16:12 +1100, Anna Helme wrote:
> Hey Adam,
> I'm working on version 4.0 of the Plumi manual to coincide with version 4.0 of Plumi. A few quick Q's:
>
> 1. How do I link to chapters within the manual? I don't know how the
> publishing of Booki works to Flossmanuals, or what the relationship is
> there.

when you publish the manual you get individual links to each chapter
just as it has worked until now.

> The existing links in the manual link to en.flossmanuals.net e.g.
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Plumi/SharingContent
>
> Will these links work when it's published?

the links will change. i had a big issue with this last week. i switched
everything over to the new system but of course all the links to
chapters in manuals were changed. so i had to revert this. it was my
fault - i did not anticipate this. i got so many emails at least i know
people use the manuals now ;)

so..i had to revert a few things. we *will* start publishing from
booki.flossmanuals.net in the next weeks. i think what i will do is make
a little web form so if you want to redirect an old link to the new one
then you can enter this info into the form, i get an email then add this
info into the .htaccess file for redirects

> How can I link to a new chapter I've created?
>
> The existing links in the manual that has been imported into Booki go to
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/Plumi.
>
> 2. When it's published where will each version be published to, and where
> will they be linked from? Will any version published via Booki replace the
> existing version at http://en.flossmanuals.net/Plumi?

this is all a little circular. im not exactly sure what you mean...can
you explain this a little clearer...maybe with an example?

> 3. I want to have versions 3.0 and 4.0 publicly available when the
> manual updates are complete. How do I make both these versions published?

we can deal with that. the old system did not let you deal with that.
the new one does. but lets cross that bridge when we get to it

> 4. How do I delete a chapter I've wrongly created?

drag it into 'hold' at the bottom

> 5. How do translations work in Booki? We want to do an Indonesian translation of version 4.0.

they dont yet work. they will do. we are first localising booki. this
will be done by the end of feb...then we work on the translation process
which is essentially an import process from one booki to another with a
few added extras

> Just to be clear, our outcomes for Plumi manual should be:
>
>       * Plumi 3.x (English) - COMPLETE
>       * Plumi 3.x (Indonesian) - COMPLETE
>       * Plumi 4.x (English) - EDITING, NEARLY COMPLETE
>       * Plumi 4.x (Indonesian) - YET TO CREATE/IMPORT/EDIT
> We wish all these versions to be available, once complete, and preferably linked to in the FM directory of manuals.

yep. should be ok

adam