[FM Discuss] Drop caps missing from E-Book Enlightenment

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 10:02:20 PDT 2011

The last time I published E-Book Enlightenment I thought it had drop-caps.
 It does not have them now.  I put in special styles at the top of each
chapter to produce the drop-caps, but they got stripped out by the publish
job.  You can see what they looked like by doing a View on the chapters in
Booki.

This is they style I used:

p.intro:first-letter {
   display:block;
   float:left;
   border:3px solid #A64942;
   padding:5px;
   margin:4px 9px 4px 5px;
   font-size:73px;
   background-color: #FAD492;
   font-style: normal;
   color: #1C4501;
   font-family: Old English, Georgia,serif;
}

If you add this style to the style sheet you are using for the site then any
book that needs drop-caps can simply use the <p> tag like this:

I can deal with the book not having drop-caps anymore (I can still put them
in my generated PDF) but I do miss them.

Another style change I came up with when printing my book:

li {
  page-break-inside: avoid;
  margin-top: .5em;
  margin-bottom: .5em;
}

I got rid of the style that said lists of bullet points and paragraphs
should not be split across pages and replaced it with the above.  This keeps
individual bullets from being split and gives them a nice spacing they would
otherwise not have.

James Simmons