[FM Discuss] FM meeting end of Sept/early October?

mick fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Fri Jul 22 02:07:26 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Anne GOLDENBERG
<goldenberg.anne at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm new to the list so could you specify again what is the Floss Manuals
> Meeting about ?
> I might be interested in joining if I can as I live in Montreal but often
> come to Europe.
> Anne

Hi Anne,

I'm only really able to speak for myself. But I think that the main drive of
the gathering is to get a representation of people who use, contribute to
and is involved with Floss manuals to work out how to take up the strain for
when Adam Hyde who has been leading the project takes a step back.

Some of the things that I could imagine this involves are....

* how to keep distributing some of the maintenance and admin tasks
* how much of this can be voluntary and how much paid
* working out how/ if funding is needed for core project worker/s
* role call for what people want from the site and what they can offer
* evaluating and brainstorming about how we organise

It's great that you ask this question Anne, as there hasn't been a lot of
discussion the list about it, so it might be nice for people to talk a bit
more about what they would want out of the gathering.

There is a doodle decider here.
http://www.doodle.com/uc4cwpbpsbvbx2tu

I guess you are in the situation of a few other people wanting to get a bit
of an idea of the remit of the meeting first. However, I got caught out on
that, as when I asked about the remit of the meeting, I got a reply from
Adam along the lines of - 'maybe you could take a lead on that'.
That reminded me of a conversation when I shared that sometimes when people
offer ambitious suggestions in voluntary community meetings, if I'm in a
funny mood I sometimes answer - 'Is there anyway I can empower you to do
that?'

That observation isn't supposed to be barbed, it's just an observation. We
seem to be at a time with Floss Manuals where it's a bit poker faced, a lot
of people have contributed, loads, I can imagine there is a lot of
identification with it, but it seems to be lagging a bit when it comes to
springing into action to bridge the next bit. It is an exciting time.

Maybe there's something happening that I don't know about, but I get the
impression that people may be a bit reluctant to get involved in case they
arrive, there are only 3 other people, and therefore they get left the job
of taking on all the work and responsibility of the project. Well I'm
worried about that anyway.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.
Nice one
Mick