[FM Discuss] Translations

adam adam at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 2 04:57:52 PDT 2011

Just a quick reply from the airport. We have a localisation app for booki
now:
http://www.booki.cc/selftranslate/es/

At the moment we are doing a lot of dev on this stuff (content translation
and localisation). We will have something on FM in the next 2 weeks I
think...

anyways...got to board :)

adam

> On 6/1/11 10:36 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I have been recruiting people for language work for years. Now that I
>> know about this requirement, I will get right on it.
>>
>>> That's very reasonable. Sourcefabric has staff speaking many languages
>>> -
>>> including Russian, Spanish, and Greek - that could help with that.
>> OLPC and Sugar Labs have people working in nearly a hundred languages.
>>

> <snip>
>>> I suggest the permanent solution is rather than using individual
>>> imagemaps, to include one 'menu bar' on all user-facing pages with
>>> context-sensitive buttons for the different languages. So if I'm an
>>> Arabic speaker who has followed a link to the English manual on
>>> bypassing censorship, the Arabic button will be 'lit up' in such a way
>>> that indicates a translation is available, and I can switch to Arabic
>>> with one click.
>> Can you give us a link to a mockup?
>>
>>> In the event that a translation for a particular manual doesn't exist
>>> yet, the link can go to a page in Arabic saying that translators are
>>> welcome, how to contribute etc. I think you'll soon get more
>>> translations started.
>> Excellent. I'll help write the English version.
>>
>>> Also, rather than using the ISO language codes in the button graphic,
>>> which are probably not familiar to non-geeks, we could use the name of
>>> that language in the native character set.
>> +1 Like Wikipedia.
>>
>>> The list of languages I'm aware of on FM is:
>>>
>>> ar
>>> el
>>> en
>>> es