[FM Discuss] Translations

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Fri Jun 3 01:38:34 PDT 2011

Hello,

We also have a localization bug list for the Finnish site. Somebody wanna
grab it? Basically most of the bugs were not visible in the previous version
of Firefox and suddenly appeared when Firefox was updated. Also it seems
like these issues have already been fixed on the English site. So therefore
it should be just an issue of updating the Finnish site to the new version,
I hope...

Regards
Tomi

2011/6/2 adam <adam at xs4all.nl>

> Just a quick reply from the airport. We have a localisation app for booki
> now:
> http://www.booki.cc/selftranslate/es/
>
> At the moment we are doing a lot of dev on this stuff (content translation
> and localisation). We will have something on FM in the next 2 weeks I
> think...
>
> anyways...got to board :)
>
> adam
>

> > On 6/1/11 10:36 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >> I have been recruiting people for language work for years. Now that I
> >> know about this requirement, I will get right on it.

> >> OLPC and Sugar Labs have people working in nearly a hundred languages.
> >>

> > <snip>
> >> Can you give us a link to a mockup?

> >> Excellent. I'll help write the English version.

> >> +1 Like Wikipedia.

> >> We should have Sugar manuals in many more. As soon as the translation
> >> features go live, I will start sending Cambodians, Haitians, and
> >> others to the site.

> > I'd suggest that any system that gets created have the combination of
> > ISO codes *and* language names.
> >
> > This would allow browser detection in the backend to provide a better
> > user experience when accessing the FM site and allow things like
> > detecting browser language in use and showing manuals available in that
> > language or similar language groups.  use ISO codes for the
> > infrastructure and backend stuff, and the language names for user
> > visible parts.
> >
> > I've started studying the landscape of browser support, web app language
> > support, and use of language on the internet in general as part of some
> > UNESCO Language projects so I'm interested in following what's done here
> > to see how it fits in to the larger picture.
> >
> > Here is a map of browser supported locales with both Firefox and IE
> > combined supporting around 100 locales.
> > https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n/BrowserLanguageSupport
> >
> > wikipedia definitely appear to be the gold standard for web application
> > and content support with articles and web app translation at around 250+
> > actively updating locales.
> >
> > it might also be interesting to look at how FM could be plugged into
> > http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Main_Page to help get more of the FM app
> > translated.
> >
> > On a slightly related topic it might be interesting to have a
> > booksprint/create a manual that talks about language support in browsers
> > and on the web, and to help expand the support and use of a language on
> > the internet.   We definitely need some help in cleaning up the
> > documentation on how to create a firefox localization to help new teams
> > get involved and I'd be interested in talking to anyone that wants to
> > help with that effort.
> >
> > -chofmann

Best Regards
Tomi Toivio