[FM Discuss] Subject: Re: more feedback please :)

John Curwood marketing at lovinglearning.co.nz
Sun Jun 12 12:06:18 PDT 2011

Hey Adam,

As an editor, I have found Booki to be very good, it is flexible
enough with plenty of tools for enhancing a books content, yet simple
enough that the tools don't get in the way of generating then
content.  When it comes to wish-lists, I think most of the things I
would like are to do with managing the book, and I think most of them
have been mentioned earlier.

- The ability to create a front/spine/back cover for a printed book
inside Booki. - I think it is great to be able to have all the tools
for publishing a book in one place, instead of requiring extra
applications such as inkscape for creating covers. It doesn't mean
that you can't use application of course, especially if you were to
make a complex cover. My general experience is that the average
(sorry couldn't think of a better word) person, likes to have all
their tools etc in one place without the need to go backwards and
forwards between different software.  To this end, I've seen people
try to make spreadsheets behave like word processors and vice-versa,
so that they wouldn't need to jump between the two applications.

- The ability to have books in multiple groups - there are a number
of manuals that can easily sit in more than one group. While adding
tags to a book may help with this, i don't think they are a
replacement for groups as I think groups are were you build the
communities that create the books, while tags would be used by the
reader searching for specific content. So I think they both have a
place.

- the ability for anyone to add a book to a group - the original
creator of a book could lose interest or get pre-occupied with other
things in life, while other people take over working on the book, if
they cannot get in contact with the creator, they aren't able add the
book to a group.

- with cloned/copied/forked manuals or chapters it would be good to
have the option to merge changes from the clone back to the origin if
the changes were applicable and visa-versa.

- for publishing for those who aren't tech savvy, have several css
presets to choose from for publishing (with previews). And maybe if
you have created a css that you think is pretty cool, then be easily
able to add it to the library of css presets.

When I was spending more time writing, I had a whole bunch of ideas,
these are the ones that have remained in brain so they must be the
most important ones.

Cheers,

John