[FM Discuss] more feedback please :)

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Mon Jun 13 05:21:50 PDT 2011

Hi Tomi,

>> Another thing we noticed was that at some stage it will probably be
>> necessary to write documentation in English here in Finland, since
>> many open source projects would probably like to do it that way. So should we
>> write it in Finnish FM and then export it to English FM for publication?
>
> that is currently possible :) either through importing to the english
> booki imple entaiton or by grabbing the materials from the fi booki via
> booki publisher interface

I would suggest writing any new manual in English first, then
translating to Finnish as you go. The reason for this is that you will
probably find it much easier to get translations from English to popular
languages like Spanish than from Finnish -> Spanish.

It really depends on whether your target audience is just people in
Finland, or whether you want to reach as many people as possible. A
strong international user base will probably increase local demand too,
just like for the Linux kernel :-)

Also you could get help from non-Finnish speakers on the primary English
manual, because those specific people would not be able to help with the
original Finnish text or the translation to English. If English is not
your first language, those people might help tidy up the English
version, which is not so big a commitment to ask for, compared to making
a whole translation.

Cheers!

Daniel