[FM Discuss] Subscribing to Book Edits?

adam adam at flossmanuals.net
Tue Nov 1 02:00:11 PDT 2011

highlighted diffs with no apparent changes are diffs highlighting
changes in mark-up (html tags) eg. changing two br tags to a single p
tag etc

there is a reason for showing these, not sure if its a good reason, but
there is one :)

adam

On 11/01/2011 12:58 AM, Shaun McDonald wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2011, at 13:28, Michael McAndrew wrote:
>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I am subscribed to the RSS.  It is good to know that the chapter has changed, but impossible to tell what has changed, since the rss just shows the current version of the page, hence not as useful as it could be.
>>
>> For me, the most useful thing would be for the RSS to show the diff and then link to the page so I can review the diff.
>>

> The problem that I've found with the current diffs on the web page is that sometimes there can be one or two words changed, and I have to scroll through the whole chapter to see where they are. It would be more useful if it was more like diffs that git/svn/etc produce whereby there is just a little bit of context around the diff. Maybe ordinary people wouldn't understand the condensed diffs, and if so an options to switch between the type of diff could be useful, or a way to highlight the bits of the chapter that are different in a summary.
>
> I'm also noticing some diffs where there appears to be no changes at all, which isn't so useful. I think this also happens when you start a drag of chapters to change the order and let go to leave it in the same place.
>
> Shaun

Founder, FLOSS Manuals
Project Manager, Booki
Book Sprint Facilitator