[FM Discuss] Optimizing images for printing

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Wed Nov 2 01:52:17 PDT 2011

i'm not a graphics expert, & also i'm less often thinking about printing
& more often about web so i tend to make everything as low-res as
possible. i guess a guideline would be useful, especially including the
standard printed-out size of the manual so that you can try to make the
actual image the right size when you insert it.

h : )

On 2/11/11 9:05 AM, adam wrote:
> i think png is best...
>
> adam
>
> On 11/01/2011 10:25 PM, Tomi Toivio wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does somebody have a procedure for optimizing manual images for
>> printing?
>> What is the best file format? What is the best way to reduce the
>> image size
>> without the quality being reduced? GIMP? Any guidelines for this?
>>
>> Actually there should probably be a manual on how to use pictures on
>> FLOSS
>> Manuals...
>>
>> There have been some timeout errors when trying to publish books on the
>> Finnish site, after debugging this for a while it started to seem
>> like the
>> web hosting organization had just changed timeout settings when they
>> updated the servers about a week ago. Now the timeout on our server
>> is 120,
>> which means that usually the book publishing process gets a timeout when
>> trying to publish the PDF. Sometimes it manages to do it in less than
>> 120
>> seconds and the process finishes without error. So the timeout settings
>> should be increased to at least 360 or more?

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz