[FM Discuss] Optimizing images for printing

Cedric Gémy cedric.gemy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 02:13:53 PDT 2011

lo everyone

trouble with pictures for web is that they are 2 small for print purpose.
I'm actually trying to layout Scribus manual in Scribus and get low res
pictures even at small size (only halt of the page width). I was wishing to
do an XSLT conversion Script, but this picture quality is a pb that
actually stops me.

What we'd need is at least IMO :
- be able to upload full size pictures (which might not be enough, but
better)
- have an automatic resizing feature for the website, at least at display
if not applied to image itself (sources pictures could be stored in a
different directory PDF could une one directory and the screen formats
another one)
- save as PNG for best quality. JPEG is very bad with lines. That might
affect text too
- the right size of an image for print process is :
(widthinpixels*(targetresolution/actualresolution)) idem for height, but it
depends of the workflow you have

CU

2011/11/2 helen varley jamieson <helen at creative-catalyst.com>

> i'm not a graphics expert, & also i'm less often thinking about printing &
> more often about web so i tend to make everything as low-res as possible. i
> guess a guideline would be useful, especially including the standard
> printed-out size of the manual so that you can try to make the actual image
> the right size when you insert it.
>
> h : )
>

> On 2/11/11 9:05 AM, adam wrote:
>
>> i think png is best...
>>
>> adam
>>
>> On 11/01/2011 10:25 PM, Tomi Toivio wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does somebody have a procedure for optimizing manual images for printing?
>>> What is the best file format? What is the best way to reduce the image
>>> size
>>> without the quality being reduced? GIMP? Any guidelines for this?
>>>
>>> Actually there should probably be a manual on how to use pictures on
>>> FLOSS
>>> Manuals...
>>>
>>> There have been some timeout errors when trying to publish books on the
>>> Finnish site, after debugging this for a while it started to seem like
>>> the
>>> web hosting organization had just changed timeout settings when they
>>> updated the servers about a week ago. Now the timeout on our server is
>>> 120,
>>> which means that usually the book publishing process gets a timeout when
>>> trying to publish the PDF. Sometimes it manages to do it in less than 120
>>> seconds and the process finishes without error. So the timeout settings
>>> should be increased to at least 360 or more?

> helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
> helen at creative-catalyst.com
> http://www.creative-catalyst.**com <http://www.creative-catalyst.com>
> http://www.**avatarbodycollision.org <http://www.avatarbodycollision.org>
> http://www.upstage.org.nz

Cédric Gémy
Formationlibre.org
FlossManualsFrancophone
Association Francophone des Graphistes Libres