[FM Discuss] Optimizing images for printing

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Wed Nov 2 07:27:41 PDT 2011

Hi Tomi,

> many people
> (me included) tend to name everything just Screenshot1 to Screenshot999.
> And for collaborative writing it should be something like
> ChapterName_ImageName

That's not so useful for image reuse, either within the book or in
another book. I often move images to a new chapter, for example when
dividing a long chapter into smaller chapters.

What I tend to do is give each screenshot a sequence number (to guard
against duplicates) and a description in the filename. If the image is
reused, the number can be changed for the new book's sequence, or the
description can be translated, but for re-use within another chapter of
the same book I don't have to change the filename. So for example:

Screenshot184-Configure_Icecast.png

Cheers!

Daniel