[FM Discuss] Optimizing images for printing

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Wed Nov 2 07:39:00 PDT 2011

descriptive names are definitely more helpful when working
collaboratively, but it also makes sense to have some kind of naming
convention; however this is probably best left up to each manual as
there will likely be different circumstances meaning that in some
situations one thing will work but not in another ...

h : )

On 2/11/11 3:27 PM, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Tomi,
>
>> many people
>> (me included) tend to name everything just Screenshot1 to Screenshot999.
>> And for collaborative writing it should be something like
>> ChapterName_ImageName
> That's not so useful for image reuse, either within the book or in
> another book. I often move images to a new chapter, for example when
> dividing a long chapter into smaller chapters.
>
> What I tend to do is give each screenshot a sequence number (to guard
> against duplicates) and a description in the filename. If the image is
> reused, the number can be changed for the new book's sequence, or the
> description can be translated, but for re-use within another chapter of
> the same book I don't have to change the filename. So for example:
>
> Screenshot184-Configure_Icecast.png
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz