[FM Discuss] Open source social media manual?

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Wed Feb 1 12:49:03 PST 2012

I think if I translate the applicable chapters to get started and then try
to get some alternative media journalists interested in these issues to
collaborate on a manual? Then the new material should be translated into
English? And then expanded? And translated into different languages? And so
on?

Seems like social media is pretty much global now, both the proprietary and
open source versions? Finland had local proprietary microblogging services
like Jaiku and Qaiku, but they lost most of the users to Twitter. Which is
funny, since Twitter is either overloaded or feels like 2000 people sending
you SMS messages at the same time. Status.net could easily be the sane and
more focused alternative without excessive information overload?

But then again lookie look what we are doing here: Using the ancient social
media known as "the mailing list." The manual should point out that the
internet is a social media by default.

Regards
Tomi