[FM Discuss] Open source social media manual?

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Wed Feb 1 15:50:23 PST 2012

love the skipity privacy policy! :D

it sounds like a great book tomi; i am still travelling heaps & only
just managing to stay on top of everything so i'm hesitant to commit to
helping, also i'm a really bad "social media" user - just don't have the
time or the need! but it sounds like a book i'd love to read, & i'm a
great proofreader :)

h : )

On 2/02/12 6:49 AM, Tomi Toivio wrote:
> I think if I translate the applicable chapters to get started and then
> try to get some alternative media journalists interested in these
> issues to collaborate on a manual? Then the new material should be
> translated into English? And then expanded? And translated into
> different languages? And so on?
>
> Seems like social media is pretty much global now, both the
> proprietary and open source versions? Finland had local proprietary
> microblogging services like Jaiku and Qaiku, but they lost most of the
> users to Twitter. Which is funny, since Twitter is either overloaded
> or feels like 2000 people sending you SMS messages at the same time.
> Status.net could easily be the sane and more focused alternative
> without excessive information overload?
>
> But then again lookie look what we are doing here: Using the ancient
> social media known as "the mailing list." The manual should point out
> that the internet is a social media by default.
>
> Regards
> Tomi
>

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM, mick fuzz <mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
> <mailto:mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org>> wrote:
>
>     Plunder this for some good stuff.
>
>     http://booki.flossmanuals.net/tech-tools-for-activists-2/_edit/
>
>     Also we would like to add stuff on diaspora / friendica
>     and search engines like http://duckduckgo.com/
>     which have a better privicy policy
>     but does anyone actually know them? do we just trust them because they
>     say they don't log ip addresses?
>
>     Also for a good laugh check
>
>      * http://skipity.com
>
>     they're pretty aware about privacy issues. check their privacy policy!
>
>     nice one
>     mick
>
>     On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM, adam <adam at flossmanuals.net
>     <mailto:adam at flossmanuals.net>> wrote:
>     > thumbs up from me....we could also include elgg and info on
>     ostatus...
>     >
>     > also booki is to some extend a social network platform...i think
>     this is a
>     > great idea :)
>     >
>     > adam
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > On 02/01/2012 05:37 PM, Tomi Toivio wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> So when are we going to do a book about open source social media
>     >> alternatives like Identi.ca and Diaspora? There is an urgent
>     need to get
>     >> people to join something less monolithic than the proprietary
>     ones I dare
>     >> not to mention.
>     >>
>     >> I don't mean a manual only about the technological aspects, ie.
>     "push a
> [...]

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.make-shift.net
http://www.upstage.org.nz