[FM Discuss] a crazy moment pondering a manifesto

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Thu Jun 28 07:40:24 PDT 2012

2012/6/27 Andy Oram <andyo at oreilly.com>

> I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I want to point out that most
> organizations have mission statements, and some also have value statements
> that work like the manifesto Adam is talking about.

Yes, and to explain what FM is doing in terms that are commonly understood
is actually very difficult, if you think about people who are not into open
source yet, and who are actually the ones who need the manuals the most.

You could start by explaining that FM is like a wiki, but actually it is
quite different from a normal wiki. Then you notice that many people
actually don't know how a wiki works.

Then you can add the confusion about freeware vs. open source. The concept
of open source is actually hard to understand unless you know something
about computer programming. So many people just think about freeware.

I have also noticed that many people tend to get scared of the manuals
since they expect they have to learn something extremely complicated.

There is a need for something like a video introduction into FM that can be
easily translated into various languages.

Regards
Tomi