[FM Discuss] updated IBD

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Thu Jun 28 03:58:05 PDT 2012

Hi Adam,

> there is a difference between copyright notice and attribution and
> meaningful credit.

Maybe, but they are all related. A traditional copyright notice in a
book may only include the author(s). Proof readers are vital, but they
often don't get a credit at all (compare to session musicians on music
recordings, who don't enjoy any rights in the finished work either).

For a software manual, the proof reader is not only correcting grammar
and spelling, they are (or should be) correcting technical mistakes
also. That might include writing new sections or rewriting existing
sections. So I'd suggest for our purposes that there is no hard boundary
between author, editor and proof reader roles. In that case, we would
have to give meaningful credit to everyone, based on the word count of
their contribution.

Another way to give meaningful credit could be to attribute the book to
an FM group name, implying that it was a team effort. Those readers who
are interested can look up the members of that group via FM.

Cheers!

Daniel