[FM Discuss] Reg. publishing visa application procedure as manual

Sindhu S sindhus at live.in
Tue Mar 26 11:11:11 PDT 2013

Hi!

I am Sindhu from Mangalore, India. Until recently, I was only a FLOSS
enthusiast and now through the Outreach Program for Women, I am a
FLOSS contributor, my contributions have been mainly to GNOME. Being a
part of the program gave me an opportunity to attend the Docs Sprint
at Brno, Czech Republic. However, my visa application was rejected. It
would have been the first time I left the country. I scrambled about
asking friends who have traveled abroad previously to attend such
events in a bid to understand the rejection I received and collate
information about what to do and importantly what NOT to do in the
visa application from the internet.

Being a documentation intern, I figured it's only the rite of passage
for me to document this procedure to help all those who will offered
similar opportunities in future and would have to apply for a visa, I
wrote http://sindhus.bitbucket.org/docs/gnome-visa/index.html using
Mallard (a tool I picked through the internship).

I reckon there are many FLOSS enthusiasts out there who would benefit
from attending FLOSS events, conferences and unconferences. However, a
requisite for doing so in a country other than that of the person's
origin would be to apply for a visa. Embassies of foreign countries
are governed by rules of their own country rather than administrative
rules of the host country where the embassy has its office, hence
making detailed information regarding application for visa somewhat
inaccessible if the applicant has no friends or family who have
traveled abroad before to refer to. The information on the internet so
far as I have seen is fragmented and highly country specific.

So, I was wondering if this counts for a manual or at least a guide?
If so, how can I get it published to flossmanuals.net?

Thanks!

P.S: My apologies if the post seemed peppered with too much background
information. It was essential to explain my inspiration to write the
guide :)