[FM Discuss] Volunteer Manual maintainers wanted to test migration

Mick FM mick at flossmanuals.net
Wed Jul 1 10:23:09 PDT 2015

On 01/07/15 17:30, joachim heintz wrote:
> hi mick -
>
> thanks for the excellent description.  all worked like a charm, and
> took only some minutes.  i checked some chapters, and all looks fine.
>
> what now?

Hi there,

Thanks for doing this. I've had some minor issues moving a couple of
books across. But only small ones that are easily resolvable. Your
csound manual all seems good doesn't it?

What now? Well in the short term I suggest re-routing readers from
flossmanuals.net to the page here
http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/preface/
Is it ok if I set that up on the server?

And here's the long story for what now! So the overall challenge of
FLOSS Manuals over the last few years has been maintaining a complex
technical and organisational structure.

When we last met up in Amsterdam we looked at the French FLOSS Manuals
group as a good model for the International community. It's more focused
and more light-weight.

Overall plan looks like this. Legally, disband the FLOSS Manuals
Foundation in NL (this is now underway after a board meeting this week),
and set up a CiC in the UK for the English language site and community.
The idea is to lower administrative costs and time, not have permanent
staff and work on a project by project basis.

Technically, we need to lower the technical overhead of the project.
It's not ideal to have 4 servers doing different things running
experimental but outdated code bases. Jo P has been doing a *great* job
patching things up but we need to move on.

There are 2 main parts of the site. The WRITE section currently at
http://booki.flossmanuals.net we'll ask SourceFabric to maintain. This
is currently at http://floss.booktype.pro but we'll ask them to host it
at http://write.flossmanuals.net. We'll create an archive of the current
WRITE site so that manuals can be available if they are needed to be
revived.

The READ section will stay on a server that Greenhost.nl has kindly
offered to sponsor. The php codebase will be replaced with a Django one.
We are nearly there with that and starting to work on the html templates.

I'm doing this work at the moment as a volunteer and looking to set up
some paying projects after the summer when then period of migration is
done.

In the coming months, they'll be plenty of opportunities for volunteer
contributions either small or big to help make this happen. It's always
been a good response to call outs for help on this list and that is one
of the reasons that I'm so keen to make sure this project keeps going.

nice one
Mick