[FM Discuss] State of the english Flossmanuals

Mick FM mick at flossmanuals.net
Wed Jun 17 12:51:28 PDT 2015

On 17/06/15 19:57, Marvin Scholz wrote:

>> I personally don't think it's good for FM as really we want to lower
>> barriers to writing docs, so having to use git, or mark up doesn't
>> really fit the bill.
>
> Hey, well to be honest I think the opposite is the case. Most people
> writing technical
> documentation would prefer a markup language like Markdown instead of
> a WYSIWG editor.

I hear what you are saying there, and I wouldn't dispute it, but let me
clarify a bit, I meant that the goal is to make it as easy as possible
for *anyone* to write docs without any other technical knowledge.

> A lot of sites do a "best of both worlds" solution by having an editor
> that has buttons for
> most common formatting and inserts the correct Markdown.

Sure, that would be ideal, definitely.
And even more ideal if technically able writers could write via markdown
and git and others who were less technical could write via a web interface.

I think this has already been mentioned on this list but for Booktype
2.0 the Aloha editor is used.
http://www.alohaeditor.org/
This looks to be a huge improvement!

nice one