[FM Discuss] State of the english Flossmanuals

Mick FM mick at flossmanuals.net
Sat Jun 20 01:14:24 PDT 2015

On 18/06/15 11:35, Anna F J Morris wrote:

>   * It's results in something quite linear
>   * The beginning should be super simple - an overview of basic
>     functionality, orientation style.
>   * The main chapters should be structured by day to day USE of
>     software and the building of skills, using real life examples often.
>   * We can assume that installation was done by someone else, esp if a
>     web-app, and put that at the end with advanced chapters.
>   * Not a single step should be skipped - every click needed should be
>     noted
>   * The language should be relaxed, clear to second-language English
>     speakers (avoid metaphores)

That's a really nice summary.

In terms of not a single step skipped. I would agree with this mostly
for the software manuals, but I also think that there is a good case for
more general / overview guides about why to approach problems in a
certain way.

Examples would be tech tools for activism & open video workbook

http://flossmanuals.net/tech-tools-for-activism/
http://en.flossmanuals.net/open-video-workbook

The linear / self-contained book structure, with published versions,
also really lends itself to being translated. After all it's a bigger
ask to translate a wiki.

nice one
Mick

Mick Chesterman - mick at flossmanuals.net