[FM Discuss] new front page for FM

Mick mick at flossmanuals.net
Fri Oct 7 07:54:19 PDT 2016

> So the manual is at www.phplist.org/manual
>
> and the editable version is here:
> http://write.flossmanuals.net/phplist/_edit/
>
> We have documentation sprint this weekend and so I need to make sure
> this manual is ready for editing. If I press publish now, what will
> happen? Does it make a version number? I am keen that the manual as it
> is now is seen as version 1 and we take a move now to a new version
> where new chapters and changes will be added

We'll probably have to hack this a little with the restrictions that we
have with Booktype 1.6's limited versioning.

I'm ccing Daniel and Aco so they can fact check this.

You are working on a live version at
http://write.flossmanuals.net/phplist -
Going to publish will allow you to output your different pdf and epub
versions and you can run your script to generate your pages at phplist.org

>From what I can work out it doesn't seem possible to really hide a book
on 1.6.

So the best thing to do when you are ready to publish this say "version
Oct2016" and want a new space to keep working on your next version is to
clone your original to a new book with a new title which shows it's a
work in progress. Say "phplist-draft2"

When you have cloned it, it's worth making a new major version, so that
a record of your original stays.

And then you can edit away till you are ready to publish that. And when
you are we can delete the one currently at phplist - and rename
phplist-draft2 - to take it's place.

A bit hacky I know but Booktype 2 I think has proper versioning.

Thanks
Mick