[FM Discuss] Collaboration and logistics: lots of questions

mick at flossmanuals.net mick at flossmanuals.net
Tue Mar 27 11:44:25 PDT 2018

On 27/03/18 16:07, Andy Oram wrote:
> I realize FLOSS Manuals is undergoing a big web transition. As many of
> you know, I am volunteering to help FM and the Free Software
> Foundation update Introduction to the Command Line, which can be found
> on an old Booki page:
>
> http://booki.flossmanuals.net/command-line/

Hi there,

Great to get your eyes on this Andy. This is all really useful.

This is a better link to point people towards.
http://write.flossmanuals.net/command-line

the booki URL is only really there as an archive.
I've created this issue.
https://gitlab.com/flossmanuals/fm_booktype/issues/6

> I can be patient until all the web elements of the new site are in
> place, but I thought I'd point out some 404 links and other problems.
> First, a focus on the positive: how can people collaborate to discuss
> what to put in a new update? Is there a web page that works like the
> non-free Google Docs or other collaboration tools? Using a mailing
> list or IRC channel to accumulate ideas is not effective.

I would suggest etherpad  here which I'm sure mozilla wouldn't mind if
we borrowed
https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/

Or using an issue tracker in gitlab / git hub.

> Now for a handful of problems.
>
> The https://www.flossmanuals.org/get-involved-0 site invites people to
> write by offering a link to a site that no longer exists:
>
> http://www.booki.cc/fm-foundation-website/_edit/booki.flossmanuals.netp

That's fixed

> When I actually visit write.flossmanuals.net
> <http://write.flossmanuals.net>, my user name and password are
> considered incorrect. So I assume that's an out-of-date page too.

Password resets do work so if that doesn't work you can just get in
touch with me to get another log in.

> Introduction to the Command line has an outdate "About" page, with
> lots of broken links:
>
> http://booki.flossmanuals.net/command-line/_all

Again this is an archive site, so see the link above.

Mick