[FM Discuss] First edit on Floss - inkscape

Maren Hachmann maren at goos-habermann.de
Wed Oct 24 07:09:15 PDT 2018

Am 24.10.18 um 15:49 schrieb Michael Glascott:
> Hi Mick and all on the list.
>

> I’ve been on the list for a while but I haven’t had a chance to get
> involved.
>

> I’m interested in contributing to the Inkscape manual. I use the basic
> tools regularly but Paths (and their options) have always been a bit of
> a mystery to me.

Hi Michael,

the Inkscape Beginners' Guide is a similar project, which intends to
fill the gap for new users.

It is currently in the process of moving to Readthedocs. I will close
that manual on flossmanuals soon, as it was near impossible to maintain.

I like to be able to work with plaintext files, proper versioning and
markup. Flossmanuals couldn't do that for me (and it has stopped
exporting to any format, also, so I had to scrape the website to get my
data out... :-/). It is nice for editors who like to work in WYSIWYG.

You can find the current version here:
https://inkscape-manuals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

(repository:
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-docs/manuals/tree/setup_rtd/Inkscape-Beginners-Guide/source)

This manual is geared towards people who know nothing of the concepts.

There is a TODO list in the repository, in the README.rst (mostly for
layout/markup), and many pages have a 'TODO' in them (for content and
images).

Currently, content is of secondary concern to me, though, as I'm still
working on getting the markup consistent, and the export right, going
through all the pages repeatedly, until everything is resolved.

I could definitely use some help with this first step, and with the TODO
items.

When this is done, we would need to look into updating it for Inkscape 1.0.

The Inkscape manual on flossmanuals is unmaintained and horribly
outdated, but might at some point in the future be moved over, too - but
that's a project for 'in a couple of years'.

The more up-to-date, official Inkscape manual at
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/ is proprietary,
unfortunately, but it's the most comprehensive manual available.

Maren