[Booki-dev] Comments on Booki

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sun Sep 19 00:34:21 PDT 2010

cool....any chance we can tempt you to become our deb package
maintainer? that would be _awesome_...also...I was wondering if you
would be interested in building something similar to this:
http://booki-dev.flossmanuals.net/ticket/275

i think we could also do it with just a standardised dump to a csv file
or some simple xml (ie without needing to build any parameters etc)

adam

On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 09:36 -0400, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
> Hello!
> As Adam asked me, I re-post my comments on Booki that I sent on
> discuss mailing list recently. Here they are:
>
>  * you don't need python-simplejson if you are using python 2.6 or
> above. Just use the "json" module.
>
>  * Make sure your package is named "booki", and not "lib". (use from
> booki import ...)
>
>  * the config file could be a ConfigParser document, not a .py file.
> (XML is fine too. JSON doesn't support comments) In Python, it's
> pretty easy to support many locations for such a file. It could check
> in both /etc/booki.conf the ~/.booki, and some environment variables
> for example. The latter overrides the former.
>
>  * You should put the short version of the GPL with copyright owner to
> each Python file.
>
>  * I think it's right to put the version number of the library in its
> __init__.py. You can read that from the setup.py
>
>  * You should favour installing dependencies using the OS' packaging
> system (such as APT) if possible. There are Debian packages for
> python-redis, python-simplejson (now in the core Python stuff, though)
> and python-django.
>
> This is all from mostly from a packager's point of view - not much
> from a developer one.
> I might package this to Debian if the packaging is clean enough. :)

Founder FLOSS Manuals &
Booki Project Manager

Contact Information
German mobile : + 49 177 4935122