[Booki-dev] PDF Export

Cedric Gémy cedric.gemy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:26:19 PST 2011

Hello everyone

During Free Font Booksprint we experienced difficulties in printing the
book for proof-read (3 hours to print the manual around 100 pages at this
time). And now, some users do feel difficulties with the PDF they get or
PDF we send them.

I've made some Export tested from our Ardour book and checked the quality
in Acrobat Pro (unfortunately proprietary).

I did an A4, an A5, and a A5 in grey scale.

Attached, a sum up of the tests. It appears to me that they are really many
issues with the PDFS. Why do i say that ? Just thinking of the print
typology our users will use :
1. Personal printing
2. Semi-pro digital printing
3. Pro digital printing (normalized)
4. Pro offset printing (normalized)

I fact, none of our PDFs match those cases.

Some issues will be hard to understand but some are really interesting
because of their strangeness :
- page of different sizes in a single document
- transparencies (where do they come from ?)
- even the greyscale export is not pure black

There might be some settings to change between PDFtk and other used tools
in the export process.

I uploaded the files and the test reports here :
http://www.cgemy.com/public/fmfr/BookiTests.zip<http://cgemy.com/webadmin.php?action=view&file=%2Fhomez.40%2Fcgemy%2FBookiTests.zip>

My opinion is :
if we say people can print the books, it should be ok and easy to do (not
being done in 3 hours or give problems) or we should avoid it. I can't
thing Fmfr be responsible of such waste of time for its users or worst make
them loose money because they did a certain amount of professional printing
that occured to be bad.
I would hide the settings that don't work correctly until they are really
usable without too much trouble.

until that...i'm beginning to check for a library that can be used for a
free PDF checker
and until i find it...
Cheers

--