[FM Discuss] books and fm - need your thoughts!

Joshua Facemyer jfacemyer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:16:01 PDT 2008

adam hyde wrote:

>> The second question I have is whether we couldn't do something of a
>> combination, such as 1&3.
> We can mix it up anyway we want. What do you like about those options?
>
> adam

Well, I think #3 is a given, seeing as it's GPL - unless of course
you're referring to the ready-for-print data, in which case it might be
a better idea to do something like sell larger quantities at wholesale
prices, then they can be resold for profit.

However, I think that, no matter what, the bottom line is that FM makes
a profit from every book sold for profit.  Cuz Adam needs to feed
himself too, otherwise we don't have FM.

So, I think the best idea is an FM book shop which offers book sales for
a profit, profits are apportioned to both FM and the maintainers/their
projects (however that will be decided), and wholesale book prices are
offered in quantity which still allow for some profit for FM and the
book teams.  Seems fairly simple and easy enough to manage.

Also, as regards ISBNs, etc, I think you should just ignore them.  It's
really too much hassle.  However, it might be a good idea to code books
with an FM code to maintain order.  This way, if a book shop wants to
sell FM books, they can do so, but if they simply cannot live without an
ISBN on each book they sell, oh well.  (Besides, don't shops all offer
other items apart from books, which also don't have ISBNs?  They'll
figure it out if they really want to.  And if they really want to, then
it's likely that they're a smaller book shop which can actually handle
that sort of thing :)

Hope that's clear.

JF