[FM Discuss] the presentation

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Aug 27 11:36:31 PDT 2009

So interesting! Just had to jot a few thoughts.

One is, writing manuals anonymously and getting paid up front is exactly the
model that most corporations follow. Technical writers are not attributed
authors and are paid prior to producing content. Yet still third-party books
get more "attention" (unfortunately for this argument it's measured by
sales). The manual from the company is not attributed to anyone but the
company via copyright. Writers know this and sign up to do their jobs
without much thought to it.

So now you've got me thinking. I like that. The importance of attribution
when it comes to CC licensing. Individual writers still don't get
attribution when a company licenses the content using CC. It's still the
company's, I believe.

I think, but I'm not certain, that the tools of the social web change this
anonymous contributor model for companies. Whether that shift changes the
manual so that it gets more "attention" or "is more helpful" (buzz
generation vs. tech support) is what I've got an eye on.

Since FLOSS Manuals provides manuals it's a natural idea to ask for pay up
front from those who request the content. But the motivations for those who
write the content vary. Some are motivated by attribution-(and attention).
Altruism is another motivator for writers. I think that the struggle lies in
the value of the manual being either helpful or generating attention.

Anne

*Anne Gentle*
annegentle at justwriteclick.com my blog <http://justwriteclick.com> | my
book<http://xmlpress.net/publications/conversation-community/>|