[FM Discuss] O'Reilly and other conferences

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:34:52 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Andy Oram <andyo at oreilly.com> wrote:
> I actually don't know all our conferences.

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/

Upcoming Conferences

    * 2009

    * Web 2.0 Expo San Francisco Web 2.0 Expo San Francisco
      The Power of Less
      Co-presented by O'Reilly Media and TechWeb
      March 31-April 3, 2009
      San Francisco, CA

    * MySQL Conference & Expo MySQL Conference & Expo
      Innovation Everywhere
      Co-presented by O'Reilly Media and MySQL
      April 20-23, 2009
      Santa Clara, CA

    * RailsConf 2009 RailsConf 2009
      The Official Event for the Ruby on Rails Community
      Co-presented by O'Reilly Media and Ruby Central
      May 4-7, 2009
      Las Vegas, NV

    * Where 2.0 Conference 2009 Where 2.0 Conference 2009
      Becoming Location Aware
      May 19-21, 2009
      San Jose, CA

    * O'Reilly Found, The Search Acquisition and Architecture
Conference O'Reilly Found
      Search Acquisition and Architecture Conference
      June 9-11, 2009
      Burlingame, CA

    * Velocity 2009 Velocity 2009
      Fast, Scalable, Efficient, Available
      June 22-24, 2009
      San Jose, CA

How many of the top supercomputers run Linux? The 1 PFLOPS IBM
Roadrunner does. Ah, here we go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercomputer#Operating_systems

More than 85% Linux.

    * OSCON 2009 OSCON 2009
      Open for Business
      July 20-24, 2009
      San Jose, CA

    * Gov 2.0 Summit Gov 2.0 Summit
      The Platform for Change
      Co-produced by O'Reilly Media and TechWeb
      September 9-10, 2009
      Washington, DC

Will Scott McNealy talk about what he told President Obama about Open
Source in government? Open Voting Consortium should be exhibiting. We
did a great demo of a working voting system at Linux World Expo last
year.

    * Web 2.0 Summit Web 2.0 Summit
      The Sixth Annual Web 2.0 Summit
      Co-produced by O'Reilly Media and TechWeb
      October 20-22, 2009
      San Francisco, CA

    * Web 2.0 Expo NY Web 2.0 Expo NY
      The Power of Less
      Co-produced by O'Reilly Media and TechWeb
      November 16-19, 2009
      New York, NY

> The Open Source convention is an obvious choice. The MySQL conference is popular and is also relevant because it's heavily oriented to open source. The main topics are databases, sysadmin, and scripting languages.

An important consideration is what kind of a book sprint would be
appropriate at the conference. +1 for OSCON, for sure. We would have
to decide on suitable books for some of the others. There aren't any
that would rule out.

> As you know, Adam has attended TOC.

Tools of Change for Publishing. Hmmm...

http://www.toccon.com/toc2009/public/schedule/detail/5212

What Happens When Anyone Can Edit Your Book, Online?

John Broughton (Author of an O'Reilly book)

This is a case study of an unusual publishing initiative, something
that has never been done before. Some books have been published
on-line first, readable and printable for free, and then later sold in
hardcopy, but this was different.

Concept

O’Reilly Media, the publisher of Wikipedia: The Missing Manual, and
the Wikimedia Foundation, the owner of Wikipedia, agreed to post the
book on-line, on the Wikipedia website, as fully-editable content. And
the book’s author agreed to O’Reilly’s proposal to do this

Edits of the book might correct errors or improve wording or even add
new sections that could be useful in a future version of the book.
(Such edits, however, could not be used directly because of copyright
issues.)

Say what? FM doesn't have that as a problem.

> Emerging Technology might be relevant because the people there are interested in things that can change society in general.

Sugar! (Invite Bryan Berry of OLE Nepal) Open IP! (The usual suspects)
OpenMRS (Medical Record System)! (Paul Farmer, Partners in Health) The
Earth Treasury plan for global domi--development! (ME!!)

> I don't think we'd be interested in any of the Web conferences, which are either business-oriented or focused on corporate goals such as performance.

How about cost, security, and uptime? Does Apache exhibit there?

> Andy

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)