[FM Discuss] Ideas for FM

Brylie Oxley brylie at gnumedia.org
Tue Aug 10 11:05:55 PDT 2010

I have had some slowly occurring ideas recently, relating to FLOSS
Manuals. What would be another good place to incubate these ideas?
Perhaps an idea page on the blog?

Idea
'Book Patterns' reusable book elements.

Description
Many books have overlapping concepts and similar structural elements.
For example two books on video editors will generally have sections on
video formats. Can we incorporate the remix feature of FLOSS Manuals
more tightly into the create section?

Idea
Key text highlighter.

Description
We can facilitate the creation of condensed FLOSS Manuals by
highlighting essential text and images. The highlighted content can be
exported as a distilled 'Cliffs notes' version of the larger text. Other
uses of the highlighter, different colors perhaps, could be activities
such as proof reading and annotation during book sprints.

Idea
Book sprint timelines.

Description
We can help book sprint teams and other documentation projects to stay
organized by providing a 'tasks' interface. This interface can help the
team to have a bird's eye view of the ongoing and upcoming activities.
Tasks may be assigned to teams and individuals and e-mail reminders can
deliver convenient updates.