[FM Discuss] Licensing - GPL II vs. Creative Commons

Chepi Gimenez chepi.gimenez at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 11:15:18 PDT 2010

Eventhough you *can* use the GPL for any kind of work, CC licenses are more
carefully engineered towards protecting content =! software.

This is especially useful in the non-commercial branch of licences. While
both content and code can be distribued in similar ways, software
applications can generally do only the thing they were engineered to do, and
*with the aid of a computer. C*ontent can be used in much more disparate
ways. The GPL is very meticulous and effective covering *distribution*,
being essentially a software license, but CC licenses offer better coverage
for *distribution&after-use*

In some cases, having a certain degree of control on what happens after
someone has acquired the content, such as wether it is used for rightful
profit or not is -IMHO- an author's right.

chepi