[FM Discuss] FLOSS Manual for FSlint

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Jun 21 18:51:36 PDT 2010

Hi Chris -

Great questions. The "editor" model for FLOSS Manuals is that there is
typically a maintainer per project, and that person (or group) has the
ability to publish the book. The publish command (in a drop down list
available to maintainers) is what makes the "complete manual." There are
basically two sides to FLOSS Manuals, the READ side and the WRITE side. A
maintainer decides when a book is ready to "publish" and go to the READ side
for all to review. So the "editor" role is distributed across maintainers.

As a maintainer, I can click Publish for you on the book, and any time you
think it's ready, just send a request to the list for a "Publish" of the
book, and one of the maintainers will publish it for you and the updates
will be available. There are several maintainers on this list and we have
pretty quick turnaround if you need it. We also add a link to the book on
the READ page when its ready.

To get an idea of the maintainer's role, read
http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/Maintainers. It's not just a
permissions-level role, it's wider than that. I think for the FSlint
project, you're the likely maintainer, so you could decide (with others
help) when it is ready for general use.

I hope this clarifies! Feel free to ask more questions.
Anne

**
*Anne Gentle*
annegentle at justwriteclick.com