[FM Discuss] draft, publish, edit

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Mon Feb 14 01:30:39 PST 2011

hi,

Last week after the Transmediale festival Aco and I met with Laleh
Torabi (the designer of booki) and discussed the interface and workflow
of Booki. Earlier in the week I also met with Allen Gunn from Aspiration
Tech who is helping us sort out somethings related to these two topics.

So we will be working through these issues in the next weeks and doing
some major facelifting for Booki - your input is very welcome! We will
have a dev site and invite comments and feedback at various stages.

For now there is one issue I wanted to raise and it was the much
discussed 'is this the manual?' debate we had on the list a few weeks
ago. ie. people were mistaking the 'draft view' as the 'published
manual'.

currently in fm we have now the edit pagefor a manual at a url like:
/installurl/bookname/edit

and no other pages for viewing the content. To read the page you must
use the 'view' link in the edit pages.

my feeling is we could consider this for both the generic install of
booki and for FM:

*DRAFT VIEW*
/installurl/bookname/draft = plain text view of book with 'draft' under
it. full menu on the page. deliberately ugly and clunky to discourage
any perception that this is anything other than a draft view.

*EDIT VIEW*
/installurl/bookname/edit = edit page as it is now

*PUBLISH VIEW*
/installurl/bookname/ = the publish home page for the book. the format
of this should be set in the booki config. The format of this page could
be :
  * templated html as it is with fm eg:
http://www.flossmanuals.net/audacity
  * templated 'book page' as it is with  http://openweb.flossmanuals.net
  * other (?)...

some notes:
- For the published view we would show a holding page if the book has
not been 'published' - an equivalent of a book 404.
- we would have to work out how we link and the published manuals to
www.flossmanuals.net
- the draft view in time might have features such as annotations,
comments etc

any thoughts?
(I also filed this here:
http://booki-dev.flossmanuals.net/ticket/356 )