[FM Discuss] draft, publish, edit

John Curwood marketing at lovinglearning.co.nz
Mon Feb 14 01:54:12 PST 2011

Hi,

On 14/02/2011, at 10:30 PM, adam hyde wrote:

> currently in fm we have now the edit pagefor a manual at a url like:
> /installurl/bookname/edit
>
> and no other pages for viewing the content. To read the page you must
> use the 'view' link in the edit pages.
>

> my feeling is we could consider this for both the generic install of
> booki and for FM:
>
> *DRAFT VIEW*
> /installurl/bookname/draft = plain text view of book with 'draft'
> under
> it. full menu on the page. deliberately ugly and clunky to discourage
> any perception that this is anything other than a draft view.

Maybe have it with some formatting attached if the writer is wanting
to preview how the book might look.
Fully agree with the Draft and maybe some hideous pattern with
clashing colours as a background image.

> *EDIT VIEW*
> /installurl/bookname/edit = edit page as it is now

I think the edit view is just about perfect as it is.

> *PUBLISH VIEW*
> /installurl/bookname/ = the publish home page for the book. the format
> of this should be set in the booki config. The format of this page
> could
> be :
>   * templated html as it is with fm eg:
> http://www.flossmanuals.net/audacity
>   * templated 'book page' as it is with  http://
> openweb.flossmanuals.net
>   * other (?)...

Are you saying here that the format for this would be either 1 or the
other, or would it possible to choose at the time of publishing?
Oh I'm guessing if this is set in booki.config then it's one or the
other.
I quite like having standard software manuals all sharing the common
FM template, but books such as collaborative futures and the open web
would probably be served better having a 'book page' it feels more
appropriate.
I definitely feel the 'book page' design would be the way to go for
the generic Booki install.
Actually, looking back at openweb.flossmanuals.net, I really like
that as a home page for the book, especially with the layout
(includes image and excerpt/summary of the book plus ways to link
into and contribute with FM) and having links to the different
formats of the book.

Cheers,

John