[FM Discuss] public view deprecated

adam adam at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 31 03:19:37 PST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 19:15 +0100, joachim heintz wrote:
> hi -
>
> sorry if i missed some discussions here - i just saw that
> http://booki.flossmanuals.net/csound/ does not show any more the manual
> in the write stadium. as far as i see, everyone has to sign in who wants
> to see the csound floss manual.
>
> this is a problem for me/us, by two reasons:
> 1) the manual is not yet finished, so i wanted to wait until spring to
> publish it.

ok.

> 2) i inserted the link to http://booki.flossmanuals.net/csound/ into
> many documents, for instance the new version of the QuteCsound
> application (all the floss manual examples are there, in the examples
> menu). now all these links are senseless.

*as they should be*. this is why i dont like this interface being live.
it is *not* the manual people should read. the manual will be published
where it would have always been:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/csound

however its good timing for to bring this issue up because I am meeting
with Aspiration Tech and Aco this week to talk about workflow pathways
for FM and booki. so we will take all this into the conversation and see
if we can come up with a workable solution

> i am not happy with the decision. i'd appreciate if such decisions could
> be made in a more democratic, transparent way; at least informing the
> maintainers.

well. big issue! If people want more say in how FM runs then they have
to do more. At the moment I don't get paid to work directly on FM. I
hack a living from Book Sprints and finding dev funds for FM/booki
through which i work with Aco and Douglas.

Pretty much now it works that Aco and Douglas look after booki and I do
all the FM bits and pieces - implement booki to work in fm, try to not
piss Aco off to much with dirty hacks ;) etc

that makes up about 0% - 150% of my time depending on the day.

I have tried many times to get more people doing more in FM (aside from
making books). I tried to get a PR group going. It didnt get very far. I
tried to ask for help fund raising. same result. I have asked people to
hack booki and help us push the code base forward. same result.

I have had a good response from requests for help with CSS - that has
been one area that has worked.

However except with the help of John (who gets paid a little bit to help
with some admin stuff and does a really good job)  the team remains for
admin and maintenance and development and promotion and and hacks and
funding and negotiating partners and deploying languages and marketing
and outreach of FM - me.

Its a do-ocracy. The more you do, the more say you get. I am pretty much
doing everything so I get to make more decisions. I always make them in
a way I think is in the best interests of FM. Actually its not really a
situation of 'i get to make more decisions' but there is no one else
doing this stuff other than me, so there is no one to talk through the
nuances, there is no one to bring implementation issues to the table
etc. I do not like the idea of a whole lot of people acting in a
democracy many stages removed from implementation and other big issues
telling me what I should do, That does not make sense to me. Democracy
here is a misfit. I am happy with a do-ocracy however. If anyone wants
to prove themselves in that realm then they will necessarily get more
say.

adam