[FM Discuss] Sort and search translation projects?

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:34:30 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:48, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> The page
>
> http://translate.flossmanuals.net/write
>
> contains just a text list of projects, all run together. Can we have a
> better display, preferably with the option to view projects in just
> one selected language at a time? Can we at least have each title on
> its own line? How about a legend giving the language/abbreviation
> mapping?

Agreed! And if decide not to list the manuals alphabetically in a long
list (maybe with a space between letter boundries a la:

* ActivitiesGuideSugar_es,
* Ardour_de, Ardour_it, Ardour_ptBR, Ardour_ru,
* Audacity_es, Audacity_hi,
* Avidemux_de, Blender_ca,

* BookSprints_es, Browse_el, Campsite_ru, Chat_el,

* CircumventionTools_ar, CircumventionTools_es, CircumventionTools_my,
CircumventionTools_ru, CircumventionTools_vi, CircumventionTools_zh,
* CiviCRM_zh,
* CollaborativeFutures_es,
* CommandLineIntro_ar, CommandLineIntro_da, CommandLineIntro_el,
CommandLineIntro_es, CommandLineIntro_gl, CommandLineIntro_he,
CommandLineIntro_jp, CommandLineIntro_ptBR, CommandLineIntro_ru,
CommandLineIntro_sv,

* DigitalFoundations_de, DigitalFoundations_es, DigitalFoundations_fr,
DigitalFoundations_he, DigitalFoundations_it, DigitalFoundations_jp,
DigitalFoundations_po, DigitalFoundations_pt, DigitalFoundations_ru,
DigitalFoundations_zh,

OR, (my personal preference)

Instead have headings around language, then list the books available
for each language - this relieves the need to have a language key as
well.

I've done something similar here:

(1) http://windowsonaustralia.net.au/library/spanish/

(2) http://windowsonaustralia.net.au/library/languages/

Cheers
L.

> [...]
> Inkscape_pl, Inkscape_pt, Inkscape_ro, Inkscape_ru,
> * Mifos_es, Mifos_fr, Mifos_pt, Mifos_zh_CN,
> * Moodle_it,
> * MuSE_es,
> * OpenOffice_vi,
> * Plumi_es, Plumi_id,
> * Processing_es,
> * PureData_br_pt,
> * Record_el,
> * Sugar.8_4_vi, Sugar_de, Sugar_el, Sugar_es, Sugar_fr, Sugar_hi,
> Sugar_it, Sugar_nl, Sugar_pt, Sugar_tr, Sugar_vi,
> * Terminal_el,
> * TheoraCookbook_ru, TheoraCookbook_uk,
> * TurtleArt_de, TurtleArt_el, TurtleArt_vi,
> * WordPress_es,
> * Write_el,
> * XO_ar, XO_de, XO_el, XO_es, XO_fr, XO_hi, XO_nl, XO_pl, XO_pt,
> XO_ptBR, XO_si, XO_tr, XO_vi
>
> --
> Edward Mokurai (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) Cherlin

"There are all kinds of pedants around with more time to read and
imitate Lynne Truss and John Humphrys than to write poems,
love-letters, novels and stories it seems. They whip out their
Sharpies and take away and add apostrophes from public signs, shake
their heads at prepositions which end sentences and mutter at split
infinitives and misspellings, but do they bubble and froth and slobber
and cream with joy at language? Do they ever let the tripping of the
tips of their tongues against the tops of their teeth transport them
to giddy euphoric bliss? Do they ever yoke impossible words together
for the sound-sex of it? Do they use language to seduce, charm,
excite, please, affirm and tickle those they talk to? Do they? I doubt
it. They’re too farting busy sneering at a greengrocer’s less than
perfect use of the apostrophe. Well sod them to Hades. They think
they’re guardians of language. They’re no more guardians of language
than the Kennel Club is the guardian of dogkind."
Stephen Fry