[FM Discuss] some news and things

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Fri Jul 1 20:43:21 PDT 2011

On Fri, July 1, 2011 6:18 am, adam wrote:
> hey
>
> first - apologies to Janet and Anne for not getting the newsletter out
> in time to promote their openhelp event. Very very sorry for this. It
> was entirely my fault that this fell off the todo list. I hope it was a
> great event (reading reports about it made it sounded very cool -
> friendly and informative).
>
> So, next up...the fm admin tool functionality and css has been upgraded.
> I would *really* love it if those that have maintainer access could blog
> about their manuals. Its about time the blog reflected opinions and
> experiences other than mine...the blog is actually now empty. I backed
> up the old blog and will put it online as an archive somewhere for
> 'historical' reference. So we need to get new posts! post away....no
> need to ask permission, just do it.

I also need to blog more about the Sugar Labs instance of booki.

> Also its now much easier to set up new language sites

When I consult with my groups of translators, I will propose several. Can
any admin do it? Is it documented?

> and we have new
> language managers for Vietnamese and Russian FM sites - more on this
> next week.

What else is coming for languages?

> There is much other new but I want to hold off a bit for some of it. Too
> much to do at the moment and not enough time to report the various items
> with their due attention. One little bit of news I do want to share with
> you now is that FM will be collaborating with Google Summer of Code to
> do a Doc Camp. This will happen just before the GSoC Mentors Summit and
> will be held at the Google HQ.

Can you put me in contact with whoever is in charge of that to propose a
Digital Learning camp to work on the Replacing Textbooks program?

> Its pretty big news for us actually and its an attempt to push free
> documentation ahead in projects that need help. Its also an attempt to
> help grow this sector (if we can call it that yet).
>
> Anyways. Its pretty cool and I will post more info about it soon.
>
> I will send out a newsletter next week - please send me any items to
> include in it.
>
> adam

Plan Ceibal in Uruguay has put out an RFP for up to 1,000 digital learning
resources. We should put all of the FLOSS Manuals publications into their
pot, since the Inter-American Development Bank is ready to fund
development, including translation into Spanish. There is an English
translation of the requirements lined from

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Replacing_Textbooks#Plan_Ceibal_project