[FM Discuss] Review wanted of Phaser Book

M R matrobnew at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 15 11:32:53 PDT 2018

Mick:

I really love the style of this text from what I've read so far.  I don't really have the time these days to do a full line edit of the kind you are requesting, but I wanted to say that I've looked through the first few chapters and the overall structure (of Part One), and it seems like a really great style/tone and approach for your audience (I also get that you're not inventing that approach whole-cloth, but all creativity involves borrowing 😊).  I am rather an anti-fan of JavaScript personally, but I certainly acknowledge its essential role in web apps, and i appreciate all of the platforms now available, like phaser, as starting points.  I definitely appreciate your general approach to learning game-code.

As you may recall, I started my own engagement with the Floss world expressing great skepticism about the role of static manuals vs video tutorials, in today's world.  That's certainly lessened, to some degree, after writing/rewriting two Floss manuals and then all the work I've done more recently for the VA (US Gov't Dept of Veterans Affairs), which has involved a fair amount of static guides along with a ton of more dynamic/immersive eLearning content.  But a really engaging writing style seems crucial to the success of what you're doing especially -- a static-manual intro to coding -- and I think you've got it.

Maybe I'll consider taking my 12-part video series on coding a particular Unity gaming scenario and redoing it in Floss-land.   I dunno.  The static manuals I've seen for Unity have been deadly affairs, compared to the video tutorials, but your approach gives me some new ideas.

Best,

Matt