[FM Discuss] a crazy moment pondering a manifesto

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 07:58:55 PDT 2012

Michael,

A manifesto tries to persuade others.  "This is what we believe, what we
are trying to accomplish, and how we plan to do it.  You should join us."

A mission statement is just some crap you pretend to believe.

I've seen a growing tendency for churches to have mission statements.  When
I see one of these I want to grab the priest, smash his head against a
wall, and yell, "You have the Sermon on the Mount!"  You don't need an
effing mission statement!

But maybe that's just me.

As far as the attribution thing goes, I don't want to go all Ayn Rand on
you but there has to be some motivation to write a book.  I accept that
"Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" is not my exclusive property.  When I was
writing it there was some hope of getting collaborators to contribute
chapters but that fell through.  It is hard work writing a book like that.

New versions of Sugar will be based on Python 3, which pretty much breaks
every possible Python 2 program.  This will make MYOSA obsolete.  Someone
will need to redo all the examples in Python 3 and update the book.
Theoretically someone else could step up to do that work, but how likely is
that?

The Spanish translation was a lot of work too.

One week sprints can produce great books, but you're going to have some
"book slogs" too.

James Simmons